Saturday, November 22, 2014

Creative Blog Hop

I was recently invited to participate in a Creative Blog Hop by the lovely and talented Ness from Bunnies and Betas. It gives insight into my thought process and current projects as well as introduce you to others. This has been a really fun experience and I have learned a lot about my fellow bloggers. Please make sure to check out their work too.

Over the River and through the Woods


What am I working on?

I am always working on a plethora of projects, but the most substantial is the rabbit zodiac sculpture for City Hall. It came out of the first bisque firing in one piece (whew!) and is ready for assembly and painting. I'm close to completing the sculpture of a woman dreaming of a fairytale landscape. I ran into a bit of an issue and she sits in "time out" until the idea of how to fix her comes to mind. I like to rotate projects so I don't get burned out. This is a new concept for me. I usually beat the dead horse until the project is done. I have found that when I hit a wall, putting the project into "time out" gives my brain time to come to the conclusion naturally and it is a better solution than when I force the issue. The construction of rabbit was so intense that I have given myself some play time in between huge sculptures. Trying to crank out Christmas presents and simply play with my clay has kept me sane the last two weeks. When I'm not at Clay Arts Vegas, I am also working on concept sketches for the Hint Mint company for their social media advertising. Wednesdays are for my knitting and I am slowly making the Nostalgia shawl. I say slowly since I have redone the shawl more than I have actually knitted it. Last week was my break through and I have been enjoying forward progress since then. I knit to relax and not think.

Working on the rabbit...


How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I have a hard time answering this question as it pertains to my ceramics since it has only been recent that I have returned to my clay. Since I feel like I am still getting my footing and finding my voice, I don't know that I have an answer. I have been trying to turn my sketches into sculptures and continue my exploration of myself through the unwritten fairytale I've been working on for the last few years. I think my work draws on kid in me and the want to run and frolic free, but also the adult in me fighting all those instincts. I am a romantic with a clinical sense of humor and I think my work plays with these dichotomies.

The color pencil drawings that I turn into 3-d dioramas are my most popular work. They differ from others because of their three dimensionality. They aren't just a pencil drawing, they are brought to life by cutting them from the page.



Why do I create what I do?

I don't know what to do with myself if my hands aren't making something. I take my knitting and a sketchbook with me everywhere so I can always be productive. I create in an effort to explore my world as well as to incorporate who I am into the world around me. Creation is not only about expression, but it about exploration, and searching for answers.

Rabbit with the base coat getting applied.


How does my creative process work?

My brain likes to create collages with various pictures, textures, and concepts. I write notes to myself, collect quotes, and doodles in my sketchbooks for future referencing. Some days I go through my sketchbooks and put different ideas together, because individually they might not be strong but together they are. Sometimes I have to rework concepts because they are not appealing aesthetically. I mentioned the unwritten fairytale. I seem to revisit basic ideas and imagery, but have been unable to bring them into focus. I feel the lady sculpture with the landscape hair is progress with this concept and I can't wait to explore more. I also get inspiration from teaching my students. Concepts and themes I teach them filter into my work and vice versa.

Stay tuned for my three nominees....

1 comment:

  1. This is great! Thanks so much for answering these questions and sharing your work. I really love how everything is coming together. I've never seen anything like your ceramics. They capture the spirit and lightness of your sketches beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Your comment will appear as soon as it has been cleared by Constantly Constance editor.